Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-27 15:01:11
I am not proposing a charge for the average user. I'm saying
that a base service be included with the standard service and
some parameters be biult around that for "normal" usage.

How do you propose to get every ISP in the world to do this?  It won't
work if mailers (both spammers and non-spammers who send a lot of
mail) can simply move to ISPs that don't hassle them with annoying
meter-ware.  For that matter, how do you plan to meter the mail coming
out of legitimate high volume mailers like Sparklist or Whitehat?
That's a lot of traffic to sniff at the router, and I doubt either one
would be very interested in installing your meter-ware on their mail
servers.

Once you've done that, you've now added the meter evasion problem.
Spammers are crooks, and they will certainly do whatever they can to
circumvent any limits that people put on them and avoid paying for the
resources they use.  Why do you expect the meter evasion problem to be
any more tractable than the spam problem?

Regards,
http://www.taugh.com