Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-28 23:41:18
On Dec 29 2004, Barry Shein wrote:

On December 29, 2004 at 11:35 laird(_at_)lbreyer(_dot_)com (Laird Breyer)
wrote:
 > On Dec 28 2004, Barry Shein wrote:
 >
 > > haven't paid your bill or whatever. Ask any corporate lawyer which
 > > s/he'd prefer, shutoffs for content or volume or complaint policies,
 > > or for non-payment (or you can guess.)
 >
 > Interesting. How would this work on a planetary scale?

Ok, I'll respond in kind...WHICH PLANET? You planetist!

Anyhow, this is easy, there are int'l long distance telephone systems,
postal delivery, package delivery, etc etc so saying it's all
impossible is kinda strange.

I'm not at all saying that it's impossible. I'm asking what it will take?

Telephone systems are government regulated and have international
agreements. Postal delivery is, too. Express package delivery is
dominated by private sector, but there's a planetary oligopoly by a
handful of courier services. The relevant agreements did not happen
overnight.

Will ISPs worldwide spontaneously agree to start charging their
customers per email or does a global accounting system of sorts need
to be put in place for email, to force per email charges to be
collected at the leaf nodes? Can the needed agreements be grafted onto
existing telco agreements, or are new agreements required? Does
charging for email imply guaranteed delivery, backed by the law?

--
Laird Breyer.