RE: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-30 14:38:32
-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
James Lick
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 3:38 AM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

If you have 50 million zombies recruited, you can send a
billion spam
E-mails daily by sending 20 E-mails per day per zombie.

The figures I've heard are that there are somewhere around 5 million
zombie hosts out there, and any one group has at most 500,000
hosts they
control.  That's still a lot, but an order of magnitude or two below
your scenario.

I'm skeptical of that large number. The numbers I've seen are around
100K (very large).

The miscreants can "link them all" but there's no incentive. Remember,
the incentive is $$$. They don't want to share. Plus they need non RBL
hosts to bounce off of. This helps keep the list low, but very fluent.

ALL worms and viruses are at their MOST prolific and MOST dangerous
before they are recognized by ANY antivirus software.

If most of them have to go through an authorized ISP's server that
limits each machine to a certain number of emails, then viruses will
become much less capable of spreading.  In addition, it is easier to

I wholeheartedly agreed which is where part of my thought process
kicks in regarding my method.