Re: [Asrg] subverting ISACS

2005-01-12 20:16:05

----- Original Message -----
From: "Seth Breidbart" <sethb(_at_)panix(_dot_)com>
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] subverting ISACS
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:52:01 -0500 (EST)

If ISACS users must pre- or post-filter all their mail independently
from the ISACS system, a legitimate question becomes what ISACS brings
to the table in that case.

It's a method of whitelisting, that's all.

Is there anyone out there who has ever had to abandon an email account because
the amount of spam became unbearable?
Is there anyone out there who has used the same email addresses for, let's say
10 years or so?  You have given this email address to everyone you have ever
known.  Your spam burden is so enormous that you think about getting a new
account every day but you don't because you know that you would loose contact
with a large number of people.

What does ISACS bring to the table?  ISACS is the only practical system that
will allow you to paradoxically completely abandon your old email address and
yet keep it forever.  That 10 year old email account will be completely spam
free, and your long lost college buddy can still contact you.

No filter can approach this.  ISACS is completely unlike any whitelist.

Some still believe that email addresses will become compromised at such a
fantastic rate that deactivating sub-addresses is impractical.  If so then why
even bother trying to hide any email address?

I activated this Lycos account just for this list more than a month ago.  I
have not received any spam to date.  You know what's even crazier?  About 7
years ago I activated a Hotmail account and started using it for all of my
family and personal acquaintances, being careful never to use it for anything
else.  For years I never received a single peice of spam, then a couple of
years ago I started receiving on average about one spam a day.  I keep the
filter on the lowest setting.  I assume that this trace amount of spam was the
result of a single unknown breach.  If ISACS had been in place I would have
just deactivated that sub-address (which was probably known by only a single
one of my personal contacts).  This is a personal example, but I believe that
MOST people are spammed as a result of a finite number of security breaches.

I am pleased that the criticisms of ISACS seems to have died down to minutia
over things like how mailing lists should react when they are sent a bounce.  I
assume that no one is coming up with a substantive criticism because one cannot
be found (umm, or because of a total lack of interest).  If this is so I will
soon once again refine my website and pursue a larger venue.

Michael Kaplan