Re: [Asrg] IPv6 and the SPAM problem

2005-01-15 23:34:40
Does the wide spread adoption of IPv6 help solve the SPAM problem in
any way?

What's the SPAM problem?  I wasn't aware Hormel had any problem with
it.  If you mean its confusion with spam (a confusion I've seen a lot),
no, I don't think IPv6 will help significantly.  [If this paragraph
confuses you, hint: SPAM is a trademark.]

For the moment, IPv6 helps with spam a little, in that v6 connectivity
is rare enough that if you get mail over v6 it is significantly less
likely (exactly how much less likely will, I'm sure, vary) to be spam
than mail over v4.  (This is at least in part because most of the
zombie army machines have no v6 connectivity.)

As v6 gains wider adoption, of course, this advantage will fade.

On the other hand, since SMTP has to work over both IPv4 and IPv6,

SMTP has to work over both v4 and v6 in that changes to SMTP that break
either one are essentially nonstarters.

On the other hand SMTP does not have to work over both v4 and v6 in the
sense that there is nothing requiring a dual-stack mailserver to accept
port 25 connections over both protocols

Outside of north America, I am told that IPv6 is more common - how
can I test that?

Ask people who've been there? :-)

I spent six months in Norway, working for Universitetet i Tromsø, in
Norway.  The University arranged a netlink for me - and it was v6-only.
(I got a rather sharp lesson in how many of my networking tools were
not v6-ready!)  Yes, I would say v6 is rather more common outside North
America.  In North America, I would expect to get stuck behind a NAT
box instead.  (I would much rather have the v6 netlink.  But then, I
rather loathe NAT.)

My North American upstream *still* doesn't have their own v6 space;
they're using a chunk of 6bone space.  (This matters to me both because
it means slow performance and more points of failure and because it
means no reverse DNS for my v6 addresses.)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML
mouse(_at_)rodents(_dot_)montreal(_dot_)qc(_dot_)ca