Re: [Asrg] IPv6 and the SPAM problem

2005-01-15 23:53:07
On 15/01/05 21:20 -0800, Jeff Silverman wrote:
This may come under the category of "dumb questions" but I haven't seen
the answer in any Google search I've tried so I guess I will ask the humans.

Does the wide spread adoption of IPv6 help solve the SPAM problem in any
way?  I am learning about IPv6 because software under development at my
work place uses IPv6 and IPv4.  IPv6 is supposed to have security
features built in to it.   My thinking is that IPv6 ought to make it

IPv6 has specific features built it which are currently available in
IPv4 as VPNs. This, however, adds nothing to preventing/migitating the
application level attack that spam is.

easier to identify the true sender of a mail message, or at least the
originating MTA.  On the other hand, since SMTP has to work over both

The originating SMTP sending host is easily identified (TCP is
stateful). However, for many organisations, blocking on layer 3 or layer
4 is simply not acceptable. That lack of acceptability leads deep into
filtering territory and a large proportion of the costs associated with
spam.

In short, IPv6 adoption will do nothing to stop worms, viruses, spam and
other application layer attacks.

IPv6 does help in providing an encrypted stream built into the packet
layer itself. Also, some people think that the sheer volume of IP space
available implies that script kiddies being able to portscan and easily
locate hosts will find their work a lot harder. I think that all that it
implies is that a lot more 0wned hosts will portscan smaller ranges of
IP space, and scans will take slightly longer.

Devdas Bhagat