[Asrg] Re: whitelisting

2005-04-25 18:57:50
"A whitelist scheme can only be used to reject spam when *every*
legitimate mail sender is part of the scheme. "

That's ridiculous.

The point of a whitelist (IMHO) is to toss out certain types of incoming mail
that you aren't willing to trust or accept from people you don't recognize.

Ideally, such a whitelist is VERY finely-grained, and with a "relatively safe"
default behavior.

I have proposed here (and I'll do so again) that a reasonable default behavior
(for senders not on your whitelist) is to allow plain ASCII text, NO HTML, no
attachments, and of a limited size (say 25K or 50K or something).

When you whitelist senders, you ought to be able to do so (again) in a
fine-grained way.  For example, Aunt Gertrude might send me a JPG of her poodle
Fifi, or might use her favorite stationery with a nice script or handwriting
font, but there's no likelihood that she'd try to send me a 165K byte PIF file
or an ActiveX enclosure or some kind of encrypted Javascript.  Anything
purporting to come from her which contains that kind of unusual stuff is almost
certainly bogus, and can be safely deleted.

Once the HTML, scripting, and attachments are zapped, there are relatively few
tricks remaining that spammers can use to evade content filters... so the
fine-grained whitelist discrimination should be followed up by a good content
filter.

Well, no.  Having a whitelist scheme in place means you can turn up the
sensitivity on your spam-detection tools (i.e. lower SpamAssassin score
thresholds and reject more spam) and maintain the same FP rate, or keep
them at the current level and have a lower FP rate.

It's certainly true that a good fine-grained whitelist makes it a LOT easier
for
your content filter to do a good (in fact, probably EXCELLENT) job.

Yes that's exactly correct - a whitelist doesn't increase the positive
rate (ie. you can't use it on its own to reject spam)

I disagree... I think you CAN use it to reject spam, although one might argue
that it's even more useful to reject OTHER kinds of unwanted/untrustworthy
mail.... specifically, phishing scams with misrepresented hyperlinks,
attachments which carry viruses or worms, and other unwanted junk.

...though it can be used to lower the false-positive rate for next layer
(though the whitelist needs to be backed up by a working authenticated-sender
scheme (which doesn't exist yet??) to be reliable).

I agree that knowing who the "real" sender is can be useful, although by itself
it's NO guarantee of safety (or not being spam) either.  The fact that the
"from:" address represents the actual machine of (or an alternate machine
sometimes used by) that legitimate sender is NOT a guarantee that said machine
hasn't been commandeered by a spambot zombie which is sending out spam or
viruses using the victim's authorizations and certificates.

Many "certification" schemes are worse still in that they only try to determine
that the E-mail originated from a server authorized to send mail from the
indicated "sender domain", and for domains containing (literally) millions of
valid E-mail addresses, that means that ANY of those millions of machines could
counterfeit/spoof the E-mail address of any other user within the same domain
name and still successfully pass the "authorized mail server for that domain"
test.

Ultimately, it's a FAR better solution to identify spam based on whether it
"looks right" (i.e. looks like mail is EXPECTED to look, coming from that
specific sender) and that it doesn't contain anything (executable attachments,
encrypted ZIP files, Javascript, ActiveX modules, etc etc) that make its
purpose
or intentions suspect.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections!  http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.