[Asrg] Re: comparisons

2005-04-21 03:28:05
Matthew Elvey wrote:
http://wiki.fastmail.fm/wiki/index.php/FightSpam  Shows the upside and
downside of wikis... (note the hit-man references).

An interesting article (and with anonymising communications and payment
escrow the "go to jail" risk could be minimised :)

=-=-=-=-=
Apropos fussp.info:
A few schemes and scheme tweaks I've thought of.

Universal adoption [ http://www.fussp.info/Article20.html ]  says:
"A whitelist scheme can only be used to reject spam when *every*
legitimate mail sender is part of the scheme. "
Well, no.  Having a whitelist scheme in place means you can turn up the
sensitivity on your spam-detection tools (i.e. lower SpamAssassin score
thresholds and reject more spam) and maintain the same FP rate, or keep
them at the current level and have a lower FP rate.

Yes that's exactly correct - a whitelist doesn't increase the positive
rate (ie. you can't use it on its own to reject spam) though it can be
used to lower the false-positive rate for next layer (though the whitelist
needs to be backed up by a working authenticated-sender scheme (which
doesn't exist yet??) to be reliable).

Also, what does
"Universal" mean?  Every sender? user? recipient? server? domain? needs
to adopt it?

Yes, good comment, I am vague there (though perhaps usefully so :-) I'll
extend the article in due course.

New scheme:
"User support is expensive"
e.g. Large ISPs will not adopt schemes that require each end-user make
changes to their setups, such as installing new software or even just
reconfiguring current software.  They are not willing to do something
that will precipitate a deluge of support calls.

That's a scenario as opposed to a scheme, but please go ahead an submit
that as an article on the site (I'm keen not to steal authorship kudos for
myself).

BTW, the current TOU (Terms of Use) are unreasonable:
Too long.
Undated.
changes w/o notice???
Usage of my account by another due to a security flaw in your system is
not my responsibility.
12. Reservation of rights - NOT compatible with open content...

Privacy policy:
too long, etc.

I rushed up the current T&C as a guideline before people started writing
articles (I have a day-job so can't spend 8 hours a day on this :)  I'm
finding your comments very useful so please get in touch "offline" so to
speak and we'll work out an appropriate T&C.

Cheers,

Ian.