What is the current charter? Was: [Asrg] Blacklisted from posting to asrg

2005-06-07 10:30:09
The ASRG is chartered under the IRTF which is not required to be open.
The organization of the IRTF like the IETF is completely top down,
members of working groups have absolutely no say in the choice of chairs
and in practice none in the decisions made either.

It is however not very practical to attempt to run a closed group on a
topic with such active commercial interest as stopping spam. The problem
is that it is also not very practical to run an open group on a topic
whose purpose is to put a particular type of business out of business.

I was banned from the list by the original chair because I merely
suggested starting an industry based working group in another forum to
pursue authentication based approaches.

I don't think mailing lists are very effective by themselves. The
problem with this group is that it has no deliverables. The original
plan of developing a description of the problem collapsed. Without a set
of documents to focus discussion the research aspect fails.

I don't think that the attempt to force everyone to use the taxonomy for
discussion was a success either. In the first place there was never buy
in to the taxonomy.

I think that this group should agree on what its current charter is and
if it is unable to think of a useful set of deliverables it should
disband.