Re: [Asrg] greylisting with whitelist of good mailservers

2006-01-30 03:09:09
On 2006-01-29 15:50:07 -0000, John Levine wrote:
The original greylist implementation greylists every (IP,sender,recip)
triplet separately, but that never made any sense to me and I always
assumed it is an implementation bug.  Once you know that an IP's
client retries, you've learned all you're going to learn from
greylisting and there's no point in delaying any more.

This assumes that an IP address identifies an SMTP client.

Many DSL and cable providers use dynamic IP addresses with short leases
(8 to 24 hours seems to be rather common). So if you know that the SMTP
client on a certain IP address retried yesterday, you don't know that
this IP address is still in use be the same host today. (And yes, I know
people who run an MTA for outgoing mail on a host with a dynamic IP address).

Even if the IP address is static, a host running a regular MTA may also
be infested with a worm or spambot.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Ich sehe nun ein, dass Computer wenig
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | geeignet sind, um sich was zu merken.