Re: [Asrg] greylisting with whitelist of good mailservers

2006-02-09 04:09:36
William Leibzon:

I do actually have quite a bit larger plans for all this and reputation
database of single ips is just first step in it. One of the things I ran
into is trying to decide what algorithm to use for calculating mean value
in real time.

I am not a statistician, or indeed, any kind of mathematician, but I wonder
if a mean is really what you want? Aren't you kind of assuming that scores
are cardinal-ish if you're taking a mean? Are they? Do you really want a
set of scores like [5.1, 5.0, 5.2, 0.1] to give the same rep.(arithmetic
mean = 3.85) as the set [3.8, 3.9, 4.0, 3.7] ?

I know you could pick another average to get something better looking, but
I wonder if it would be more useful to refer to your threshold and count
overs/unders, spam/ham, whatever.

I don't know if you ever saw Mark Langston's (abandoned?) GOSSiP stuff? I
thought that there were some good ideas in there, although I guess you
wouldn't be interested in the distributed/co-operative aspects. I'm sure
there's some stuff on sourceforge.