Re: [Asrg] Comments on draft-church-dnsbl-harmful-01.txt

2006-04-03 05:34:42
To stay on topic, do you accept that with your definition, the only
authority which can reliably decide consent (and therefore spamminess)
is the receiver?

Not really.  I get spam complaints all the time for mail from lists
that I know perfectly well that they signed up for and confirmed.
"Oh, I don't want that any more."  For the ones that aren't totally
redacted, my setup turns them into unsubs so they don't get any more
mail for that particular list, but I don't think it's fair to count
mail as spam if it depends on reading the recipient's mind in
real-time.

Testing spam filters is a really, really hard problem, for all the
reasons that people have mentioned, basically that you can't test
without perturbing the system you're testing, and you can't capture
enough state to rerun the same test more than once.  So you have to
estimate based on complaint rates from bounces and the like.

R's,
John