Re: [Asrg] pre-rfc thought balloon: ESMTP DATAFIRST

2006-06-06 18:04:04
The question then becomes, while exploring schemes to have response
codes per-recipient, what can be done to the protocol to make it
usable by a B2C sender.

The protocol works just fine for B2C senders now.  They send each
recipient a separate message.

 In a world where ISPs charge B2C senders by bandwidth instead of
per-message (fantasy land, or not) bandwidth stops being cheap.

ISPs do charge by bandwidth, but it's an insignificant part of the
total cost except in small remote countries with satellite links.  I
don't know of anyone who charges by the message other than the exotic
stuff Goodmail is doing.

B2C senders are rolling in profits and worried sick about the
potential impending desubsidization of the delivery of their
commercial speech.

The B2C senders I know are worried about deliverability and phishing.
Steve Atkins works with them more closely than I do, so perhaps he
could opine here.

R's,
John