Re: bounceone Re: [Asrg] DSN generation and handling

2006-12-08 12:52:35
The body must contain enough to identify the original message that
caused the bounce message to be created and clearly identify that
this is what it is and not an artifact of the bounce message itself;
a solid line across the screen or
conveys this well.

Perhaps, but that kind of inclusion of the bounced message makes it
approximately impossible - difficult, at the very least - to
*mechanically* identify the bounce as a bounce and extract the bounced
message.  My mailserver pries open bounces and checks to see if the
bounce bears evidence of having been sent through my machines; if not,
the bounce is rejected as being a bounce of a forgery.  (This works
only because I send mail only through channels that add the relevant
spoor, of course.)

But this requires either that the bounce message be in a standardized
format - RFC 3462 is the only such standard I know of - or that I try
to track assorted nonstandard bounce formats.  I chose the former; I
complain to sites that send me non-3462 bounces of forgeries, blocking
repeat offenders.  (I'm waffling on the question of whether to complain
about non-3462 bounces of non-forgeries; at the moment I don't.)

This is not to say that a user-agent couldn't take a 3462-formatted
bounce and *display* it the way you describe, if the UA's author(s)
think that is appropriate for their target market.

At the very least, the extract from the original mesage must contain
"From:", "To:" and "Date:".

I would say the message-ID is another must-have.  From/To/Date is often
not enough to find the message in logs.  (If there is no message-ID, I
would say the message should not have been accepted at all.)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML
mouse(_at_)rodents(_dot_)montreal(_dot_)qc(_dot_)ca