Re: [Asrg] Re: bounceone

2006-12-14 16:04:40

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Frank Ellermann wrote:

Tom Petch wrote:

Less good is
postmaster@<domain-name>
since, while technically correct, it is unlikely to convey the
meaning clearly to a lay user, especially as the <domain-name>
may be unknown to the user.

I have always found the overuse of the pronoun "localhost" in DSN messages a stumbling block to quick understanding. Substituting the actual host name wouldn't cost anything, would it? I understand there is no actual ambiguity, just a delay while the user figures it out (or gives up trying).

If the DSN included the message-id, it would be possible to automate the dropping of DSN messages arising from forged return addresses on messages to misconfigured MTAs. Most of the DSNs I get have the subject line, but few have the message-id. If no reasonably reliable way to determine the legitimacy of a DSN is established, then more MTAs will start discarding all of them, which would be significant reduction in service and not at all desirable.

Daniel Feenberg