Re: [Asrg] Re: bounceone Re: DSN generation and handling

2006-12-12 05:41:08
----- Original Message -----
From: "wayne" <wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net>
To: <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 6:56 AM
Subject: [Asrg] Re: bounceone Re: DSN generation and handling

IMHO, the single most important thing a mail admin can do to improve
the usefulness of the bounce messages is to make sure as many of the
rejected e-mails get rejected *during* the SMTP session instead of
accepting the email and then generating a bounce.  This, will cause
the sending MTA to generate the bounce.

Agreed; I find it hard to see evidence of this except when there is only one MTA
involved.

While the bounce that the sending MTA generates may not be as clear or
informative as possible, it will at least be in a format that the user
of that system will be familiar with.  More over, when you say things
like subject lines of "Deilvery Status Notification" are clearer than
"Mail System Error", you are assuming that the user can understand
English, something that is often not the case.

I only know English but find that technical terms tend to be very similar.  Thus
I can cope with
' Virus rejeté'
'Ce rapport fait référence à un message envoyé '
'Este mensaje no pudo ser entregado a su(s) destinatario'
'Panda GateDefender Performa ha detectado contenido malicioso'
'Il sistema di scansione ha rilevato un problema'
or, at a pinch,
'Tozi e-mail vi e izpraten ot AV MAILGATE BTC-NET'
'Ten komunikat zostal automatycznie utworzony przez system obslugi poczty'
It is the
'ûÓÐÄܹ»·¢Ë͵½ÒÔϵÄÊÕ¼þÈË:'
that defeat me:-(

Tom Petch