[Asrg] Re: bounces, and anit-spam principles

2007-01-22 17:14:02

Perhaps it's a good time to step back again and take a look at some principles that hopefully we can recognize (and some of these seemed controversial when I first proposed them, but hopefully by now my reasoning is a little more apparent):

1. Spam is any mail the RECIPIENT does not want, regardless of how much the sender wants to send it.

2. Accordingly, the definition of what they do and do not want MUST be such that the RECIPIENT defines it... not the IETF, not the sender's ISP, not the recipient's ISP, nor some governmental body, nor anybody else.

3. Systems which rely on the "reputation" or "certifications" of the (supposed) sender are not very helpful, because a user's machine can be compromised by a worm or virus, or because a purported sender's credentials can be forged.

4. Spammers, regardless of what they claim about not wanting to send unwanted mails, or only sending to "opt-in" addresses, specifically do everything in their power to bypass filters set up by recipients to block mails just like what the spammer wants to send.

5. Most recipients do not really want to have their machine turned into a spambot zombie.

6. Antispam/antiworm approaches based on traditional signatures are not effective in the initial hours of an infection wave, when all worms and viruses are at their most prolific and most dangerous.

7. (And this point is particularly timely given the current discussion here).... it is almost NEVER really helpful to bounce an incoming message which contained a worm or a virus, or even which contains spam, unless you can determine (how??) who the legitimate original true sender really was.

For example, one incredibly annoying thing that happens to me every month or so is that Yahoo will stop delivering my Yahooogroups list mails to me, because they got back a "hard bounce" message implicating one of my E-mail addresses. Almost invariably, this hard bounce message got sent out by some idiot mail software which found a worm or virus in an incoming message (and NONE of these infected mails have actually been sent out by ME, of course) and the idiot software decided to send the bounce back to some third party (in my case, Yahoo), which (also not-cleverly) decides that since they got back a (completely bogus!) hard bounce message (and to a message that Yahoo didn't really send, either), they'd better not try to send any more mail to me. :-( The result is that I typically lose anything from a half day's mail to as much as several days' mail from the various Yahoogroups I'm subscribed to. :-((

Whether an E-mail contains spam, or a virus, or just about ANYTHING, the ONLY time it should be rejected is during the time of the original SMTP session when it is coming in... UNLESS the entity generating the bounce can (somehow) be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN of who the guilty party REALLY is.

It's especially outrageous when a bounce message goes out specifying a contained virus which is KNOWN to forge a counterfeit return address...! What is it supposed to accomplish to tell someone, whose system is NOT infected, that some random one else's system is? And then, worse, to couch that as a "hard" bounce, suggesting that no more mail should be sent to the address in question?? (When, in fact, a legitimate mail would presumably sail right through...)

Critical aspects of solving the spam problem require that we deny spammers and abusers the techniques they have come to so effectively use to bypass effective content filtering. That includes HTML, text-as-image, ActiveX, scripting (Java etc), and things of that sort.

Therefore, as an initial default (which would apply to "unfamiliar" senders) I still insist that mail from unaccepted senders be passed into my Inbox ONLY IF it contains NO HTML, and NO attachments, and does not exceed some specified size (10K, 50K, 100K, 200K, whatever the recipient decides to set as a threshold). Assuming the mail message gets through that initial qualifying gauntlet, then Spam Assassin or whatever other antispam content filter should be able to decide whether it looks reasonable for delivery or not.

(And as an additional comment, based on a statement in today's ASRG digest, let me point out that brain-damaged "regular expressions" type pattern matching is IMHO nowhere close to adequate for this kind of good textual spam recognition, and something closer to SNOBOL4 or SPITBOL-type pattern matching is far more appropriate and useful).

The (initial filtering!) approach that I believe will work is based on this fine-grained "permissions list" (with a ruleset adjustable on a per-sender basis) which combined with a suitable default behavior denies in one fell swoop nearly all the tricks and subterfuges that spammers use to evade and deceive content filters.

All of these DNS-based things based on "sender reputation" and the like are doomed to failure because a well-reputed sender CAN be infected and caused to send out spam. And just because they DO, doesn't mean that the LEGITIMATE mail they might still be sending out ought to now be t-canned.

It is FAR more helpful to allow recipient machines to identify that the mail message supposedly coming from a legitimate and familiar sender INDEED 'LOOKS' THE WAY that E-mail from that particular sender is EXPECTED AND ALLOWED to look.

And meanwhile, not allowing (by default) incoming E-mail that contains HTML, scripting, attachments and the like unless they are from someone that we TRUST to send such stuff (and have whitelisted) will virtually eliminate E-mail as a transmission vector for worms and viruses.

We keep dancing around with these elaborate technical schemes that folks keep claiming will solve (parts of) the problem, but which will predictably not solve it very much or very well. Meanwhile, relatively straightforward approaches (as I'm proposing), and in conjunction with good content filtering, will go a long way towards solving the REAL problems, and still allow receiving (simple, safe) mail from previously unknown "first contact" senders. AMD take a big chunk out of worms and viruses (today's AND tomorrow's!) at the same time.