Re: [Asrg] Re: bounces, and anit-spam principles

2007-01-22 19:51:56

On Jan 22, 2007, at 7:09 PM, Steve Atkins wrote:

On Jan 22, 2007, at 5:59 PM, Dan Oetting wrote:

On Jan 22, 2007, at 5:48 PM, Steve Atkins wrote:

Identifying the sender reliably is the missing link in the current system.

The missing link is really 2 different problems depending on which side of the link you are on. The receiver can't identify the actual sender and the smarthost can't reliably identify the email as abusive. Providing direct feedback when email is abusive (such as when unsolicited email hits a spamtrap) could bridge the gap and permit the smarthost to take appropriate action to stop the abuse.

DKIM and ARF between them provide all the protocol-level solution needed for that. DKIM was the missing link I was thinking of.

That works if you don't mind taking the long route. I was thinking of a more direct path of sending a specific response code in the SMTP transaction. A really smart smarthost might be able to then fix the problem before the site gets blacklisted.

-- Dan Oetting