Re: [Asrg] Comments: draft-irtf-asrg-criteria-00.txt

2007-01-25 20:54:08
On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 01:14:07AM -0500, Chris Lewis wrote

The problem being that out of the 60,000 seats here, perhaps less than
10 of them are able to competently configure a set of rules like what
you have.  Many of them don't even have a clear notion of the concept of
"source IP" is, let alone being able to make reasonable choices of, say,

  In the case of a corporation, the end-user is *NOT* the customer; the
corporation (i.e. higher management) is the real customer.  At an ISP, I
outsource the POP and SMTP servers to the ISP, because it's too much
hassle for me to maintain patched, secure, servers, with big UPS,
failover, etc.  I chose to maintain my own mailfilters, with the ISP
maintaining the physical servers.  If 90% of customers choose to
outsource unwanted-email-blocking, that's their right.

knowing why you'd want to block dynamic IPs or IPs in Korea.

  Because the computer guru in the next cubicle at work told me.<g>

Furthermore, and with complete irony, I'll note that the only reason I
read this thread is that my very own, personally trained, UA bayesian
filtering flung it all in the junk folder! ;-)

  Bayesian filters belong in the junk folder.

We're achieving effectiveness rates in excess of 98% with our "one set
of rules" server based defences.  My personal account, which receives
400-600 emails/day, has 100 or more spams/day filtered out by the
central server solution.  I usually go a week or so between spams that
get past those central filters - I see _many_ more FPs with my bayesian
than I see spam getting through.

My personally trained bayesian filtering has an absolutely abysmal
track record.  On the spam aimed at the false positive handling
address, which by design has _no_ filtering, Bayesian has an
effectiveness rate of about 50%.  Yuck.  No amount of personal
twiddling, custom rules, explicit pattern matching in my UA is going
to make much difference to that.

  You seem to be mis-reading my message.  Nowhere did I praise Bayesian
filters.  I was talking about different users with different whitelists,
adding different DNSbls, blocking different countries and IP address
ranges.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1