Re: [Asrg] Re: per recipient status

2007-01-25 21:33:01
On 1/25/07, william(at)elan.net <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net> wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Martin Hannigan wrote:

>> These are bogon ips and some of us are rejecting them already, see
>> http://www.completewhois.com/bogons/ and blacklist for it is
>
> They aren't bogons. They've been allocated to the RIR. They are unassigned
> to ISP's or end users, but are eligible for assignment.

And you quoted definition below under which such blocks would fit
since they are not allocated by IANA and RIRs to any ISP or end-user
organization/company yet.

> "Bogons is the name used to describe ip blocks not allocated by IANA and RIRs
> to ISPs and organizations plus all other ip blocks that are reserved
> for private or
> special use by RFC"

Hmm. Understood. "And". I'm not sure I agree that this is a good
definition. I don't use CW so it doesn't affect me directly, but it
could.  But I'll take that off list.

Note that for those at ASRG there exist slight difference in ARIN
terminology between assigned and allocated blocks. Assignment is
considered to be when block is "given" (leased really) to final
end-user company where as allocation is when its given to the
entity which is ISP or alike and can assign ips to somebody else.
So it is said that IANA allocates blocks to RIR and RIRs then
allocate blocks to LIRs/ISPs and those then assigns them to
end-users. It is also possible for RIR to assign block directly
to end-user company if its big enough or small and they qualify
under some sort of PI (RIPE term) or micro-allocation/assignment
policies. Plus to that large legacy blocks are considered to have
been assigned directly from IANA to end-users when RIRs did not
exist yet. In addition to that the terms "reallocate" and "reassign"
are used although in practice only "reallocate" has meaning when
you talk about one ISP that reallocated the block to some other
ISP which would be making actual assignment to end-users (since
assignment is always final step there can not be "reassignment"
although term is also used).

In any case, in practice a lot (most) use allocation and assignment
terms interchangeably and do not make a distinction - this includes
definition of bogons as well (it really means both allocation and/or
assignment there).

Good clarification.

-M<