Re: [Asrg] Re: draft-hall-inline-dsn-01

2007-01-28 07:02:05
On 2007-01-28 13:04:32 +0100, Frank Ellermann wrote:
Claus Assmann wrote:

[[Is this the appropriate list to discuss this topic?]]

I expected the SMTP list to be flooded with 2821bis WG charter
debates, but in reality nothing happens.

the name is confusing and the new name isn't very helpful either.
Let's call it something like "Delayed-RCPT-Status" (DRS) or
"RCPT-Status-After-Dot" (RSAD).

Maybe the complete technique could be simplified:

After the server offers "TBD" the client can accept it as "TBD"
keyword of MAIL FROM.  Then it sends the DATA first, afterwards
it sends RCPT TO and gets selective (per mailbox) responses as
usual, taking the known DATA into account.

That's basically David Nicols' DATAFIRST proposal.

The mail is selectively accepted with a 2xx for an RCPT TO.  Any
command that's not RCPT TO (like MAIL FROM or QUIT) terminates
the transmission of this mail.

Could "DATA-first mail" (DF) work ?

It could but in reality quite a lot of mail is rejected before it even
hits the DATA stage (either because none of the recipients exists or
because of checks which don't need the content (DNSBL, greylisting,
...). With DATAFIRST all this mail will have to be transferred only to
be rejected. I suspect that this will sharply increase the bandwidth
requirements. (David proposed to offer DATAFIRST only to trusted
senders, which limits its usefulness)

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | I know I'd be respectful of a pirate
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | with an emu on his shoulder.