Re: [Asrg] Re: Asrg Digest, DNSBL BCP v.2.0

2007-03-02 21:22:15
Ok... I'm putting on my Nomex suit for this reply.

Posted and mailed:

gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

Worse, from a Internet strategic standpoint, the dangers of this kind of blunt-instrument blocking of E-mails for AN ENTIRE COMPANY just because ANY ONE computer within their network is infected (and it could even be an infected notebook computer carried in from home and connecting to the office wireless LAN) will force more companies to insist on MORE DANGEROUS separate, routable IP addresses for each machine in their company.... so that blocking will affect JUST ONE of their machines and not put the whole company out of business. Ultimately, this "solution" just puts dramatically more (and very unwanted) pressure on the limited IP address space, and INCREASES the likelihood of getting the company's machines infected since now their machines each have a real, routable IP address that can be attacked by scanners and other exploits originating from outside the company.

Routeable addresses are not inherently less secure. NAT is not the only way, or even a good way to secure hosts. It may work for that in some situations, but it's less that optimal, and was never intended to provide security. (and in fact, there are countless tricks to break through NAT anyway these days).

NAT was created to deal with a perceived shortage in IPv4 addresses. It's not a magic bullet, and in fact, it's actually harmful in many ways:
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/what-nats-break.html
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1627.html

If you choose to present your entire network to the world as being a single machine, then, it and any abuse from it will be treated as such, that's just a chance you take. In this respect NAT is actually more dangerous, as the ability to account for what's happening stops at your network's border, and NAT is often substituted for proper security and network design - which includes use of application layer firewalls, intrusion detection, and application proxies to create and enforce a strong security policy.

Put your servers in a real DMZ, with real IPs, and a properly constructed firewall. Consider putting your users behind proxy servers instead of or in addition to NAT, so that they have exactly the access they require, no more, no less. Machines that don't send mail directly out to the internet shouldn't have the ability to do so. This is common sense.

Intrusion detection would have let you catch this earlier, probably before you were listed on DNSBLs.

So, again, I will EMPHASIZE that the question should NOT revolve around the finer points of how to implement IP-address-based blacklists, who should maintain them, how to distribute them, how to phase them out eventually, and such CRAP!! We are arguing the finer points about what is INHERENTLY a VERY flawed approach, rotten to its very core AS A CONCEPT, where what we OUGHT to be doing instead is to figure out better and more effective ways to efficiently and accurately DIFFERENTIATE good mail from bad.

There are also ethical implications which would suggest that any content-based approach is just as flawed, because it creates an infrastructure for censorship just as easily as it creates an infrastructure for stopping spam.
As I have pointed out, such an approach would (in the example I gave) efficiently perform such triage on the messages coming from dear old Aunt Gertie's machine, allowing her legitimate mail to continue to be delivered while effectively guaranteeing that the spambot-generated garbage running on her same machine and transiting the same server(s) would be T-canned and never seen by a human (and therefore, hopefully, not be worth injecting into the Net in the first place).

If dear old aunt gertie is leaving her machine on the internet after it's been compromised by a virus, she either doesn't care, or doesn't know better, and in either case, is doing harm to others by her refusal or inability to deal with the problem, so she's arguably just as big of a problem as the virus itself.
Key to this triage, I believe is:

1) denying spammers and abusers (in a robust way!) the ability to conceal or obfuscate malicious or spam content by ruses based on HTML, text-as-image, scripting and the like;

2) forcing at least initial-contact e-mails (those by which a sender establishes a trust relationship with the intended recipient) be sent in plain text so that they can be analyzed effectively by a SpamAssassin-style analysis program;

3) allowing a recipient to control just exactly what sort of more advanced content they are ready and willing to accept from each specific sender, and (ideally) how they wish to additionally establish the legitimacy of that sender's messages. (Prearranged masthead on a newsletter, personal SIG file for mail from an individual, characteristic keywords in the message or subject line, etc etc).
These would help, but they are not enough - and without extensive cooperation will never be effective. I want to see better solutions, but barring making some solutions mandatory (and I shudder to think of how you could do that without gov't involvement, which will never happen on a global level anyway), you aren't going to do enough from a content standpoint.
Here on this list, we keep falling back into this nasty business of arguing about how an INHERENTLY FLAWED scheme (and I'm talking about IP-address-based blacklisting) should be done, rather than recognizing ONCE AND FOR ALL that it is simply a ROTTEN IDEA FROM THE BEGINNING and that we OUGHT to be working on finding a BETTER solution which is better long term both from the standpoint of CONTROLLING spam, of encouraging (in a practical way) responsible computing, and which isn't just encouraging these costly, ineffective, and ultimately COUNTERPRODUCTIVE games of after-the-fact "whack-a-mole".

I'll agree that its a horrible idea. At one point, a DNSBL could effectively stop a lot of spam. Now, most DNSBL operators and DNSBL users have realized that the technology long ago ceased to be useful in stopping all but the most persistent and long-lived spam sources, and compromised hosts.

So, you might ask, what are DNSBL's still useful for? Mainly, four things:
* Keeping track of compromised hosts, because they present a threat to the internet as a whole. * Keeping track of hosts that shouldn't be sending mail - machines on networks where servers aren't allowed for instance. * Brute-force education of end users and server administrators about community standards of security and acceptable behavior on the internet. * Bringing the problems that allow spam and other network abuse to the wallets of those who can do something about it.

It's that last one that's the big one.

Unfortunately, there are some providers who wouldn't kick spammers off their network, if not for the fact that DNSBLs would soon force them out of business. DNSBLs are unfortunately very good at this one thing - making "not my problem" a big enough issue that ignoring security, permitting abusive behavior, or ignoring the basic principles of the internet becomes costly enough to become a problem worth fixing.

As a DNSBL operator, I don't like this aspect of it, but it's the same principle as behind things like the infamous UDP (http://www.stopspam.org/faqs/udp.html). Ultimately, a DNSBL does not stop spam. A DNSBL brings the problem to the wallet of someone who can, by providing mail admins that care about the problem the tools to block mail from those that don't care, or are contributing to the problem through ignorance or malice.
We OUGHT to be working on preventing spam (and viruses) from getting delivered THE FIRST TIME, rather than worrying about locking the barn door after the horse has already gotten out...!

Dammit, people, we keep going back to what color fabric we're going to use to upholster the "whack-a-mole" mallet, rather than coming up with a real SOLUTION for this problem...!!! :-((

I'm open to solutions, but just because the one's we have suck, we shouldn't abandon them until such time that we do have something better, and have it working. Spam is ultimately both a security problem and a financial problem though.

Solutions have to come from all levels, and at the most basic level, the critical work is in detecting and preventing intrusions so that abuse can only come directly from the abusers themselves.

-Stephanie