Re: [Asrg] New draft draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-01.txt

2008-03-25 13:38:43
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Chris Lewis <clewis(_at_)nortel(_dot_)com>
wrote:

 The target is DNSBL operators and DNSBL users - DNSBL users are
 typically mail server admins - or at least, that's how we're intending
 it.  If it's not clear, we can fix that.  I consider end-users twiddling
 their own DNSBLs to be out of scope.  Does this need to be clarified?

you never know who is going to suddenly become a mail server admin.

I would think a good imaginary reader for this document would be a
literature professor who had a volunteer geek set up a mailing list system
on their home computer which has a dynamic IP and through the magic
of dyndns.org, the whole system works just fine for several years until
one day, after an ice storm, Dr. Nadagik's box loses the DHCP lottery
and is inconvenienced by drawing a nomber formerly occupied by
a neighbor with poor download hygiene and a tendency to have his decrepit
equipment compromised by operators of global anonymous botnets.

Dr. Nadagik's IT staff is long gone, and she decides to figure out what
is going on, as several of the presitigious members of her mailnig list are
no longer getting their messages even though they are still subscribed,
and the list server logs, which she has never actually had occasion to
read before now -- have  some new text in them mentioning a numbered
RFC, whatever that is.