Re: [Asrg] Round 2 of the DNSBL BCP - "collateral damage"

2008-04-01 17:58:30
On 4/1/08, Rich Kulawiec <rsk(_at_)gsp(_dot_)org> wrote:
This is a followup to one particular section:

 On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 07:42:03PM -0400, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
 > > 3.6.  Use of Collateral Damage MUST Be Disclosed
 >
 > There's no such thing as collateral damage.  I'm going to write
 > a separate message about that because it's too long to include here.

 This phrase should be excised from this document.  There's no such
 thing as "collateral damage" because there's no such thing as
 "damage" in this context.

I dissagree. Some listings knowingly include IP addresses not directly
related to distribution of objectionable mail nor direct support or
response gathering of that mail. That is sometimes done to nudge the
users of those listed, but potentially unrelated IP addresses to
complain to the entity responsible for the core issue, or to nudge
that entity to work toward core issue resolution, to mitigate or
remove impact against the users of those other IP addresses.

It happens currently and it seems appropriate to recognize it.

Regards,
Al Iverson

--
Al Iverson on Spam and Deliverability, see http://www.spamresource.com