Re: [Asrg] Round 2 of the DNSBL BCP - "collateral damage"

2008-04-01 23:09:46
Take "me" and 'SORBS' out of the picture when I answer this...

Steve Atkins wrote:
On Apr 1, 2008, at 10:46 PM, Matthew Sullivan wrote:

Steve Atkins wrote:

that a blacklist does not block email is... wrong.

A bl[oa]cklist does not block email.

A listing on a bl[oa]cklist can cause email to be blocked.

A bl[oa]cklist without anyone using it will not cause any mail to be
blocked.
A bl[oa]cklist without anyone using it is pointless.

The statement that 'a blacklist blocks mail' is... wrong.

Sophistry.

Your intent in listing an IP address in your blacklist is that mail
from that IP address be more likely to be blocked or filtered.

No, the intent is to do *something* that could be to block and/or
filter, it could also be to indicate an address that should not be
filtered (granted it would not be called a blocklist in that case), but...

Your statement was 'that a blacklist does not block email is... wrong'
and you refer to intent as the supporting factor.  An example of why
that statement is wrong: the original intent of the OPM was to block IRC
connections, not to block email.  The OPM's original purpose was to
block IRC connections and not email. (Two similar but actually different
statements).  People found the OPM was good for blocking spam as well,
so they - the users - made the OPM entries block email, not the
operators of the OPM, and before the users did that, entries did *not*
block/filter/score email.

I agree with why you are saying that, but it is still wrong.

Regards,

Mat