Re: [Asrg] For DNSBLs, embedded IPv4 in IPv6

2008-08-04 06:42:35
John Levine wrote:

Could someone explain why a DNSBL needs to return IPV6 addresses?

I don't know anyone who thinks that a DNSBL should return anything
other than A and TXT records.  What leads you to believe otherwise?

A and TXT records were the way found, years ago, to implement DNSBL without creating new kind of DNS records.

In fact, as long as I understand, the A record is useful to return a machine handleable code allowing to specify, why the record is listed. The TXT record contains human readable information.

As long as IP address is the usual result of an A query, an IPv4 address is the result usually returned by DNSBLs.

If something should be done about that, it's only to improve coding, not to add another redundant type of result.