Re: [Asrg] For DNSBLs, embedded IPv4 in IPv6

2008-08-04 15:56:51

On Aug 4, 2008, at 6:01 AM, John Levine wrote:

Someone pointed out that in some popular dual stack systems,
connections from IPv4 addresses appear as IPv6 addresses
in :FFFF:0000:0000/96

Could someone explain why a DNSBL needs to return IPV6 addresses?

I don't know anyone who thinks that a DNSBL should return anything other than A and TXT records. What leads you to believe otherwise?

Agreed. Keep answers to A and TXT records. Just different names are being questioned. A records provide 4095 different values which seems more that adequate. Internally, we are using 16 bits filtered against customer preferences. When memory becomes limited, TXT records seem the first items dropped from the answer.

-Doug