Re: [Asrg] New Version Notification for draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl-07

2008-10-15 15:44:36
Franck Martin wrote:
I'm not requesting for a root.

I'm just highlighting the first post in the thread which is to make
clear in the draft there is no root.

I don't think anybody would want there to be.  It doesn't need one.

Sorry also I'm catching up on the spec (yes I know I should read the
archives).

A few questions:
-DNSBL usualy return an A record where the value ma indicate a status.
Should this draft try to codify some answers? For instance a particular
answer would mean DNSBL is shutdown

If the DNSBL is shut down, how can you deliver an A record that says so?

You can't.

Both the RFC and the BCP talks about test entries.  See also the DNSBL
shutdown provisions in the BCP.

-Should a listing in DNSBL generates an email to the listed to inform
them of their new status. As stated in the document (3.4) many mail
servers logs are not well watched, and it may take a while to recognise
a listing has been added.

No.  With the churn of entries in some lists (daily churn of ~500K
entries in the CBL for example), doing such email is spam, impractical,
and given the dearth of public useful/appropriate IP->abuse desk address
mappings, generally impossible[*].  Not to mention that if it were
implemented, most receivers would ignore the notices from most lists.

There are a number of services that provide DNSBL monitoring for a fee.

It's not exactly hard to implement your own.

[*] WHOIS ain't it.  Even if it were remotely complete (which it isn't),
query rates from things like the CBL would blow the whois services out
of the water.