Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-15 18:14:26

On November 14, 2008 at 20:29 d(_dot_)wall(_at_)computer(_dot_)org (David Wall)
wrote:
email, email postage, etc. as a IETF standard to thwart spam might have
more than a technical consideration to its implementation (which doesn't
mean a programming language, but how you'd get millions of server and
billions of users to cooperate and adopt it worldwide).

May I point out that it's been at least a decade that people have been
shooting down anti-spam proposals because "that would take a decade to
get adopted!"?

I realize the quote above doesn't quite state a time period, but it's
in the same vein.

If someone has the FUSSP (or progress thereto), except it might take
some wide acceptance or some time to get implemented, I suggest that
we try to quantify that as one among many factors rather than try to
drown out the idea itself by repeating the objection over and over.

That is, I'd think of that as more of a discrete table entry (requires
wide acceptance: [ ] yes [ ] no) or scoring item (relative acceptance
requirement on a scale of 1-100: 90) rather than a "disproof", an
immediate dealbreaker.

We could argue about how to set up that scoring, the weighting
coefficients etc, but to grasp onto one factor like "you'd have to get
millions of servers to comply", or "it would take YEARS!", or "we'd
have to rework smtp" and act like it's the only factor worth
considering seems, well, very unsophisticated, more in the realm of
polemic ("it's crap!") than science or engineering ("it scores low!")

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide