Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-14 22:56:34

On Nov 14, 2008, at 7:51 PM, David Wall wrote:

Rather than devise such a new scheme, think about why SenderID, SPF, DomainKeys and plain old S/MIME have not taken off. These are all open standards, free to implement and thus should be attractive.

Yet they are not implemented.

I suspect that the majority of email sent has three of those four implemented. If not quite a majority it's _definitely_ a large fraction.

(Yes, I'm cheating. Nobody other than the very, very gullible implements SenderID as such, but a valid SPF record is also a valid SenderID record).

Proving who the sender is would be huge -- it would allow for prosecution for illegal spamming; it would alert a user whose computer is infected and used as a bot, and it will allow for blacklisting (reputation loss).

So, before you create a new parallel mail system that costs money and has cross payment systems, etc., why not get these standards implement fully?

Methinks it's not technology alone that's the problem.

Cheers,
  Steve