Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-15 19:36:26

On November 15, 2008 at 23:41 asrg(_at_)johnlevine(_dot_)com (John Levine)
wrote:
May I point out that it's been at least a decade that people have been
shooting down anti-spam proposals because "that would take a decade to
get adopted!"?

Actually, the problem with e-postage has nothing to do with standards

Well, I was really making a general statement, my momentary interest
may be charging bulk emailers somehow but if we can learn this much
from the discussion I think that's of value.

and everything to do with the fact that nobody has any idea how to
implement it in a way where the revenue would come within a couple of
orders of magnitude of paying the infrastructure costs.

Yeah, which maybe is why this is the anti-spam RESEARCH group and not
the anti-spam CODING group.

But the objections haven't been so much about how to implement,
they've been objections to the very concept, vastly over-stated
"proofs" that it's impossible, etc.

If you're going to say "don't do it that way", remember to tell us
what way we should do it.  The hand waving is getting a little old.

Something's getting a little old. Maybe it's heated meta-discussions
rather than "ok, that's an interesting idea, making spammers pay for
what they use somehow would no doubt slow them down a lot, let's try
to work it out a little and see where it goes".

Or maybe we should just admit that the purpose of this group is to try
to figure out how to control a limited resource (i.e., people's
ability to deal with their email) that does not involve any sort of
resource charges whatsoever as a given.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide