Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-17 08:45:11
If your grandmother can send mail from her PC, what's to stop the
spammer who zombied it from sending mail the same way?

Let's say that Grandma picks an ISP, let's call it World, for its
friendly personal service. Spammer hacks or phishes Grandma and sends
a bunch of spam from her PC, postage of $43.27 is now due.

Who pays the postage?  Grandma?  She calls World (or perhaps her
teenaged granddaughter who set up her PC calls) and tells World to
forget it.  The spammer?  He's in Estonia.  So does World pay?  If so,
how can anyone afford to run an ISP?  If not, it's not really
pay-to-spam, is it?

On the third hand, if we're going to wave our hands and assume that
all the mail we exchange has strong sender authentication, there's
some rather powerful sorting and filtering tools we can use that don't
require inventing payment schemes.

R's,
John