Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-17 11:52:34
Let's say that Grandma picks an ISP, let's call it World, for its
friendly personal service. Spammer hacks or phishes Grandma and
sends a bunch of spam from her PC, postage of $43.27 is now due.

Who pays the postage?  Grandma?

That is the best post about why NOT to invent a financial penalty
I've seen.

And to inject a slightly different perspective, the BOFH in me says
it's one of the best reasons _to_ do so.  Financial penalties for
getting pwned are one of the very few things that might actually get
users to stop being idiots about such things.  As long as running a
grossly insecure machine on the net incurs minor-to-no costs, people
will continue doing it.

The major problem, I think, is the Prisoner's Dilemma that inheres in
implementing it.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse(_at_)rodents-montreal(_dot_)org