Re: [Asrg] The state of the email system

2008-11-16 23:04:13

On Nov 16, 2008, at 7:45 PM, Franck Martin wrote:

I found
http://utility.nokia.net/~lars/meter/dkim.html

Which is interesting, but does not give an idea based on traffic. If yahoo, hotmail and gmail implements dkim, well it could be more traffic using dkim than may be a few ISPs...

So I think it is important to base these stats on traffic rahter than on how many sites have it configured.

For the purpose of this workgroup I think we are looking at technologies that reduce spam.

DKIM is not intended to reduce spam.

So I guess a graph in time showing how much mail traffic is dkim/dk/ spf(?)/senderid(?) would be interesting. I think making the plot available would be interesting. I saw with the stop of the recent botnet, security companies run graph on the number of spams within the mail system., it would be nice to see the above graph per non- spam traffic and spam traffic.

For your case you would have to monitor only inbound mail traffic, as with outbound, it would only tell us what you have implemented on your MTA.

Not sure I'm fully clear here...

If several big mailing site do that, then it can be aggregated to get an idea of what's happening.

It would certainly be interesting, but I'm not convinced it
would be particularly useful - as in changing anyones
behaviour.

Cheers,
  Steve