Re: [Asrg] Goodmail / Email Postage

2008-11-28 00:46:16
X-ASVP is a public specification.  It is not intented to perform
filtering but rather to create a framework for easy implementation of
filtering
technologies, such as VBR-info.  Just think of X-ASVP as a way for a
recipient
to advertise what technology they use and then provide a format for
exchange of parameters.  The intention for X-ASVP is to be filter agnostic.

If one were to use the X-ASVP framework to announce the use of VBR-Info,
then instead of (or in addition to) hosting a "token generator" at their
TGURI,
they would post :
X-ASVP:V9[SUPPORTED,VBR-Info]

And the sender, instead of using a header "VBR-Info:" in a message, they
would format
within the X-ASVP framework, and the header would look like:
X-ASVP:V9[VBR-Info: md=<domain>; mc=<type-string>; mv=<certifier-list>;]

I don't currently understand from the VBR-info specification
how a sender is expected to know that the recipient
uses the method to filter their messages.  X-ASVP
is intended to allow the advertisement of multiple
methods.  So a recipient may advertise that they
will accept mail that passes VBR-Info , but they
may also advertise that they will accept mail that
passes some other technology, it wouldn't need to
be mutually exclusive.

The whole idea of X-ASVP is to allow for easy
extensibility and experimentation with filters.  It
is not, by itself, a filter.

Gerald