Re: [Asrg] is SMTP still really store-and-forward ?

2008-12-01 13:23:10
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Dave CROCKER <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:
Since David raised the question about SMTP, the focus needs to be on the
scenario from posting to delivery.  Are there multiple hops from the
originator's posting machine to the recipient's delivery machine?

I was not raising a question, I was making a proposal.  Alessandro
Vesely seems to be the only voice participating in this topic who
understood what I meant.

appreciate the real and extensive diversity
of email transfer scenarios we still rely on.

What I meant by "realm" is very close to "administrative domain."

Sending realm sends to receiving realm.  a backwards-compatible (no
zero day) FUSSP must live on the receiving realm.

My proposal, that I guess I did not make very well, is:

For purposes of discussing the nature of a FUSSP, operations within a
"realm" (which is not at this point a well-defined term) should be
treated as a black box that has full information sharing within it.