Re: [Asrg] is SMTP still really store-and-forward ?

2008-12-03 05:08:21
On 29/11/2008 00:51, "David Nicol" <davidnicol(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 9:06 AM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Also, SMTP is store-and-forward and [...] multiple hops.

It was designed that way, for UUCP bang-paths, but in practice for a
very long time now, especially since running open relays began being
poor form, SMTP has been sender-realm systems communicating directly
to recipient-realm systems.

But, that's not the whole picture.  Your message went from gmail to IRTF to
me, which stored it until my MUA could grab it and store it for a few days
until I got around to deleting the postage thread.

Maybe we should call that forward-and-store instead, but the same core issue
remains: a true FUSSP must include the ability for the MUA to determine
stuff about the message without assuming permanent broadband network
connectivity at time of determination.

See also: draft-kucherawy-sender-auth-header, active & in a repository near
you.