Re: [Asrg] The fundamental misconception about paying for mail POSTAGE

2008-12-02 19:39:51

On November 29, 2008 at 23:35 sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net (SM) wrote:
At 19:21 29-11-2008, mathew wrote:
So if Microsoft annoy a significant number of their customers by
making it easy for third parties to spend all their e-mail postage
credits, people might start to favor Microsoft's competitors?

I don't think so as it's the ISP which is charging the subscriber and
that's the competition I'm talking about.

Or the ISP passing through charges.

Assume a structure kind of like SSL certs. The ISP with 100K customers
(end-user types) buys a postage cert, say for 1K/day/customer so 100M
msgs/day aggregate.

Suddenly some user(s) is using 1M/msgs/day pushing the ISP over the
edge.

Well, the ISP can buy a bigger "cert" which presumably costs more,
perhaps passing that cost to that large consumer, or they can curtail
that sort of usage saying they don't sell that kind of thing go find
an ESP. Or maybe the customer is zombied, but same thing really.

Wait, weren't you supposed to be arguing that this was a bad thing?

No.

Rich explained who is responsible for the hazard.  I mentioned why it
may be difficult to fine the subscriber for the negligence when the
he/she has been sold the idea of "unlimited" service.

Well, don't sell them unlimited service if things change. You're
tossing everything under that word "service".

No ISP sells unlimited everything for a small flat fee.

For example, mail inboxes are always finite as one very germaine
example. Exceed that limit and your incoming mail starts bouncing,
probably w/o much warning or recovery possible unless the sender can
be identified and will re-send.

At least cutting off outgoing mail would more immediate and obvious,
FWIW.

And there would be marketing wisdom in offering higher outgoing quotas
perhaps for a fee.

If e-mail postage is introduced and is a success, subscribers may
elect to do away with using the ISP for mail services and SMTP
access.  That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on where you
stand.

Many people don't have much choice, port 25s are blocked, anything
looking like a pool IP address is blocked from many sites, etc.

I guess they can go buy a DS3 and apply for a /22...

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide