Re: [Asrg] The fundamental misconception about paying for mail [NOTHING TO DO WITH: postage]

2008-12-02 19:40:08

On November 30, 2008 at 16:03 johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com (John Levine) wrote:
The users here getting the highest volumes of spam (in one case > 16,000
/day in bursts) have only one thing in common.

Membership in lots of IETF related activities, especially mailing lists.
The second most common attribute is membership in IEEE lists.

Do you think the bad guys are specifically trolling for lists, or is
it just that the IETF had unredacted online archives for a long time?

It's hard to tell cause and effect but it does seem whenever I post
here or NANOG it's followed by a sizeable joe job w/in 12-24 hours.
Sometimes other attacks like dictionary attacks.

It's not that big a deal to me, I have scripts that toss that stuff
away with a few keystrokes.

But I do notice it when looking around the systems at stats.

I like to think some spammers really don't like me and seeing my name
on a forum like this motivates them to rage. That could be very
immodest, but it gets me through the day.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide