Re: [Asrg] POSTAGE, was The fundamental misconception about paying for mail

2008-12-02 19:40:28

On November 30, 2008 at 12:06 gklaas(_at_)sacto(_dot_)com (Gerald Klaas) wrote:
On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Barry Shein
<bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com> wrote:

Can they cheat? Of course they can cheat. But the real question is
what are the chances they would get caught and what is the penalty?

Do we dare open the legislation topic?  It's pretty clear that CAN-SPAM
is not effective.   If one is using "stamps", is there any legal benefit (in
the USA) ?   Might a recipient be able to legally pursue a spammer for
abusing their "stamp generator" (under fraud laws) as opposed to
CAN-SPAM?  With an out-of-SMTP-band stamp "purchase", the recipient
is able to define the process senders need to follow to obtain their
"stamps", we would hope leaving an audit trail in the process.  Clearly
fraud laws would apply if the stamps involved micropayment, maybe
not if you couldn't assign a cash value to the "stamps".

I don't think we have to go there so quickly.

A public "cheaters" list might be sufficient if it encouraged shunning
or rate limiting etc offenders.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide