Re: [Asrg] Projecting

2008-12-02 19:42:33

On December 1, 2008 at 11:04 dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org (Douglas Otis)
wrote:
It is not hard to imagine why large providers wish to ignore accounts
using compromised systems, as these represent extremely expensive
support issues.

At the risk of being flip, it is not my responsibility to design
optimized business models for them.

It costs me a lot to deal with the spam from their business model
optimizations, and earns me nothing.

Further, I am quite sure THEY couldn't care less, not any more than
when Microsoft thought it too expensive to fix even the most basic
holes in their OS 10 years ago which was the key enabler of the spam
problem but only proceeded at a pace they felt commensurate with the
interests of their shareholders. Period. I'm not a shareholder.

So arguments like "it would cost them too much to do the decent
thing!", particularly where the costs are largely just foisted
unwillingly onto others, doesn't tend to move me.

  Once IPv6 opens the door to 340,000 decillion (10^33)
IP addresses, the granularity of evidence collection and blocking can
not be retained at the IP address.

Oh please. There won't be 10^33 ip addresses involved. There are only
about O(nx10^9), n<10, people on the planet etc etc.

Put another way:

     IF THEY CAN BILL THEM FOR A SERVICE THEY CAN MONITOR THEM.

Ok?

The rest follows from the above so no point in my responding.

But gack if I could just get back the many sleepless nights I spent
because AOL, and others, chose to not verify credit cards or other
info before automatically enabling accounts (something we did) and the
attack after attack from those accounts being created at script speed
and the sanctimonious "you don't understand what marketeers call
friction, checking credit cards before enabling would constitute
unreasonable marketing friction, go read a marketing book".

Until, I guess, those accts started attacking their own systems, then
it was "damn the market friction and full steam ahead!"

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide