Re: [Asrg] Solving spam == Solving zombies/botnets

2008-12-02 19:42:49

On December 2, 2008 at 01:25 trelane(_at_)trelane(_dot_)net (Andrew D Kirch)
wrote:
Walter Dnes wrote:
What it boils down to is that to majorly reduce spam, we have to
majorly reduce botnets/zombies.

I concur, I'm just not sure that we're going to pull it off.  There's
little to no liability for the provider.  I'd love to see someone start
suing yahoo, or the web cafe, or the compromised server that phishing
attacks come through.  Unless you hit their pocketbook they simply don't
care.

Not to beat a dead horse...(not dead, sleeping!)

A major motivation for pursuing some sort of e-postage is to create an
economic motivation to deal with these zombies.

Right now it's pretty clear that, in particular, huge consumer ISPs
can shrug their shoulders and say "can't think of anything to do about
zombie bot armies on our nets which conforms to our business/marketing
model".

I believe e-postage can change that equation.

I know, I know: how? why? when? where? who?

Anyhow, I just thought I would stop in this msg at stating that as an
overarching goal.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide