Re: [Asrg] Solving spam == Solving zombies/botnets

2008-12-03 22:30:05

On December 3, 2008 at 13:39 steve(_at_)blighty(_dot_)com (Steve Atkins) wrote:

If, for example, you could identify and reject all unwanted mail the
botnets (for email spam anyhow) would cease to exist on their own,
there'd be no economic reason for them to continue operating.

OTOH, it is true that the only reason spammers can operate as they do
is via botnets. Period.

That's an interesting perspective. One that's wrong, though. An awful
lot of quite profitable spam never goes anywhere near anything remotely
resembling a botnet.

Ok, that's an interesting assertion.

Are they achieving IP mobility in some other way? If not, why don't we
just block them?

The only other major route I'm aware of are hijacked routes but thus
far I don't think they're that big an actual source of spam, correct
me if I'm wrong.

You make three references to "some other way" in the note (I didn't
quote all of it) but never quite spell it out. Here's your
chance. Educate us!

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide