Re: [Asrg] Solving spam == Solving zombies/botnets

2008-12-03 16:32:25

On December 3, 2008 at 15:42 jdfalk(_at_)returnpath(_dot_)net (J.D. Falk) wrote:
On 02/12/2008 10:55, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org> wrote:
  What it boils down to is that to majorly reduce spam, we have to
majorly reduce botnets/zombies.

Hooray!  Let it be shouted throughout the land: on 12th December 2008, the
ASRG caught up to the anti-spam conversation circa 2006.

It's sort of one of those necessary vs sufficient arguments.

If, for example, you could identify and reject all unwanted mail the
botnets (for email spam anyhow) would cease to exist on their own,
there'd be no economic reason for them to continue operating.

OTOH, it is true that the only reason spammers can operate as they do
is via botnets. Period.

That's the only way they can get access to the resources necessary to
do what they do, and the only way they can get access to ip mobility
which is absolutely necessary to their crime; without ip mobility we'd
just block them and be done with it.

It's like the triangle of fire: heat/fuel/air. In this case it's
economic-motive / bot-armies. Stop either and spam will almost
certainly cease to be a problem worth worrying about.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide