Re: [Asrg] What are the IPs that sends mail for a domain?

2009-06-17 11:24:38

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, Steve Atkins wrote:

On Jun 16, 2009, at 4:17 PM, Daniel Feenberg wrote:
Because it would be impossible to maintain a DNSBL for IPV6,

I keep hearing people say this, but I've not seen any clear justification for it. It seems to me to be no more difficult to run a blacklist for IPv6 addresses than IPv4 addresses (neither is easy, but the details of the address representation don't seem to make more than minor differences).

Can you expand on why you think it's the case, or point me at some discussion of it?

Of course a spammer could reuse an IPV6 address, and then a DNSBL could catch subsequent spam from that address. But there isn't any need to reuse IPV6 addresses - they are nearly infinite in number, each customer is assigned billions by default and there is no real need for the spammer to restrict himself to his officially listed addresses.

IPV4 DNSBL work, even though they are "listing badness" because IPV4 address space is finite. That means that "listing badness" isn't really different from "listing goodness". But if badness is infinite, then listing bad addresses won't be effective.

Note that my argument that MTAs with only IPV6 won't be established is not contradicted by the existence of MTAs with IPV6 and IPV4 connectivity. Nor does it really depend on the difficulties with DNSBLs, although that is an additional obstacle. The major obstacle is the limited connectivity that an IPV6 only MTA would have.

Daniel Feenberg

Cheers,
Steve