Re: [Asrg] [ASRG] SMTP pull anyone?

2009-08-18 08:51:39
Steve Atkins wrote:
On Aug 17, 2009, at 8:38 PM, John Levine wrote:

The model is like a simple C/R involving Message ID of a mail. The sending domain provides the Message ID and allows computational time for the receiving domain and then query the sending domain to send the message.

This model has been proposed many, many, times before.  I suppose we should
make a page for it in the ASRG wiki of anti-spam techniques even though it's
more of a mail system redesign than an anti-spam measure.

Agreed; however, I'm out of office this week, and will consider doing this only when I'll be back. (As a new entry in http://wiki.asrg.sp.am/wiki/Taxonomy_of_anti-spam_techniques#SMTP_techniques I suppose).

IMHO, this model --this instance of it-- stems from the common qui pro quo generated by speaking of clients (or servers) as if they were hosts, rather than processes: Most spam comes from clients, I want to eliminate it, hence I will only pull mail from servers.

If you do, mention RFC 2017.

Good point. External-Body resembles "SMTP pull", except for implying that the content should be retrieved by the MUA.

RFC 2111's mid URLs could be used to retrieve a message sent by SMTP (or stored via IMAP) if access by Message-ID were provided.

In order to infringe the Tumbleweed patent, AFAICS, one additionally has to automate checking the log file, as an alternative to positive DSNs for the externally stored content.