Re: [Asrg] SMTP pull anyone?

2009-08-18 09:37:22
Michael Thomas wrote:
I can create a walled garden trivially with smtp just be rejecting connections from people not on my whitelist. Likewise, anything that is promiscuous with who it receives from better be prepared for mail-transmitted diseases (MTD's). That's just the nature of opening up. So SMTP itself isn't the problem, or more specifically fretting about SMTP is nipping around the edges of 20 with the 80-20 rule.

I don't think "opening up" is bound to have a unique nature. A protocol might provide for ways to open up _and_ allow traceability, responsibility, and accountability. Such features are implicit in walled gardens. Explicating them requires a more thorough analysis of the relevant conventions and rules, at an abstraction level such that its outcome can be globally accepted. Much of the required "political" work is already available as privacy recommendations --later than SMTP. It is possible to tweak SMTP so as to comply with that. While that would not "eliminate spam", it would permit to manage it cleanly, properly, and without sacrificing reliability.