Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

2009-12-16 07:14:43

--On 16 December 2009 09:26:11 +0530 Hrishikesh Barua <talonx(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

In the right conditions will act as an unsubscribe button -

Correct me if I'm wrong - by the right conditions I understand that you
mean cases where the List-Unsubscribe header is present in the email.
While this is a good option, Gmail's implementation of this leaves some
things to be desired.

IIRC, the message also has to have a valid DKIM signature, which covers the list-unsubscribe header. At least, there has to be some way that Google can tell that the message really is from the list.

If you look at the screenshot in the post above, there is no just
"Unsubscribe" button - it's "Report Spam" or  "Unsubscribe and Report
Spam". In an update to the same post, Google clarifies that

If you want to unsubscribe without reporting the message as spam, click
"show details" in the top-right corner of the message, then click
"Unsubscribe from this sender."

If it's not among the visible options, people are not going to use it -
they are just going to click on the visible buttons (and mark it as spam).

But it's a start.

- Hrish

--
Ian Eiloart