Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-01-29 17:01:10
On 1/29/10 12:37 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
no, no, no, you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that prefiltering is bad. far from it. this started out with the claim that end users with their TiS buttons are between useless and dangerous. Users may not get all bad things (duh), but they also know a heck of a lot more about what they don't want than some system-wide classifier that is BY DESIGN
allergic to false positives.

And I'll take issue with "only absolute classification helps solve Rich's problem." In fact, users on a day 0 exploit are your only line of defence so you better damn well hope that some percentage of them push the panic button, and you'd be foolish to not
build systems that take those early warnings into account.

The point i'm making is that the user MUST be a part of the larger problem of managing their own firehose. The absolutist "spam/ham"-must-be-part-of-priesthood is but one way to achieve a level of filtering with relatively few false positives, but it is not the whole
picture.  The whole picture is "don't show me what I don't want to see".

Mike,

It really depends upon how feedback is applied. When applied globally and not for the individual offering the feedback, then this _will_ cause false positive detections. You are right, this type of information does provide early indications that content filtering is failing to detect some new spam variant, but then this requires human intervention to repair.

What I don't understand is your desire to muddle with spam definitions calling the feedback "This is Spam" and not "This is Junk". Calling it junk accurately describes how it is used, and what it ultimately means. You don't need to be part of priesthood to understand what might cause false positive blocking of otherwise legitimate messages.

Recently, our group made this mistake of mis-applying this type of feedback, where the confusion appeared due to the sloppy labeling of feedback as "spam" when it really meant, "not wanted". Not wanted is usually the output of any content filter as well, the result of the filter's training.

-Doug