Re: [Asrg] Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-01-29 06:38:10

--On 28 January 2010 11:03:29 -0800 Steve Atkins <steve(_at_)blighty(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Most of the people I see arguing that the "this is spam" button isn't
a good user interface for users to provide their thoughts are spammers
or grey area bulk mailers.

Maybe the problem is that buttons aren't, in the general case, for applying labels. They're for initiating actions (which might include the application of a label).

The button should make clear what the action is. Will it stop similar mail being delivered to my mailbox? Will it stop similar mail being delivered to a colleague? To the rest of the world?

Will it result in a report being sent to the system administrator? To the sender? To the sender's boss? To Spamcop? To the police?

Is clicking the button an instruction, a request, or a vote to take any of those actions?

Can we use IMAP meta-data to communicate answers to these questions, to the user?

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex